Over the years, people migrating from Nigeria have been increasingly popular prior to various factors ranging from the hand full of job opportunities in Canada down to a conducive environment.
You may tend to wonder how to travel from Nigeria to Canada, well here is how; to travel from Nigeria to Canada is quite simple but might be quite difficult if you miss out on the steps below, basically all you need to do to migrate from Nigeria to Canada is;
- Get a valid international passport
- Get an approved Canada Visa
- Pay for your flight ticket
Quite simple right? But here is a detailed guide on how to move from Nigeria to Canada
Different Types of Canadian Entries From Nigeria to Canada
If you want to travel from Nigeria to Canada, you should bear in mind that there are various types of entry modes into Canada to help you choose the suitable method for you to travel to Canada from Nigeria. The different types of entries are stated below;
Read Also: How To Travel From Nigeria to Italy [Surest Methods]
1. Express Entry
For immigrants hoping to start a new life in Canada, Express Entry is the fastest and most prevalent option. Those who wish to immigrate to Canada and obtain Canadian permanent residence can apply through Express Entry.
Candidates with a bachelor’s degree or higher, relevant work experience, and a working knowledge of both English and French are preferred. The Express Entry pool favors Nigerian professionals because of this.
Read Also: How To Travel From Nigeria To Georgia
Express Entry accepts applicants who qualify for the programs listed below.
- Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)
- Federal Skilled Trades (FST)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
2. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Provincial Nominee Programs, or PNPs, are immigration schemes run by Canada’s thirteen provinces and territories. Because each province has a distinct population and economy, it has its own set of immigration policies that are tailored to meet those differences.
Read Also: How To Travel From Nigeria To Thailand [3 Effective Ways]
There is a lot of interest in applying for Canada’s Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).
If you are nominated by a PNP that is aligned with Express Entry, you tend to receive 600 CRS points. This means that if your name is drawn in the next Express Entry lottery, you will almost certainly receive an offer to apply for permanent residence.
3. Family Sponsorship
Immigration to Canada prioritizes family reunification. There are many programs in Canada that allow Canadians to bring their families to the country.
Read Also: How To Get Ireland Business Visa (Step By Step Guide)
Those who wish to sponsor a family member for permanent residency must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- If they are a permanent resident, they can live in Canada. Even if Canadian citizen lives outside the country, they can still sponsor a family member. A sponsor must be in Canada at the time of the sponsored family member’s Canadian residency.
- Possess sufficient financial means to support the sponsored individual for the time period specified.
- Sponsors must also meet additional requirements, such as not receiving social assistance (except if disabled), meeting financial obligations, including timely support for sponsored family members, and having a clean criminal record.
4. Canada’s Start-Up Visa Program
If you’re an entrepreneur with a novel business plan, you may be eligible for a start-up visa to immigrate to Canada.
Read Also: 8 Best Airline To Fly To Canada
Canada is on the lookout for entrepreneurial talent interested in launching new businesses that will boost the country’s economy and provide jobs for its citizens.
Those who meet the requirements can come to Canada on a work permit, and once they have established a business, they will be eligible for Canadian permanent residency.
5. Other federal economic programs
However, an alternative federal economic program may allow you to apply for permanent residence if you have a job offer in a highly sought-after field or in a rural or coastal area of Canada. Various economic pilot programs are offered by the Canadian government to fill labor or demographic gaps in specific regions or sectors across the country.
Read Also: How To Apply For France Visitors Visa
Types Of Canadian Visas
Having known the various forms of entry into Canada from Nigeria; here are the various types of visas that could get you into Canada;
- Student Visa
- Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa)
- Work Visa
Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa validity)
A visitor visa (temporary resident visa) can be multiple or single entries. This type of Visa gives you access to stay in Canada for up to a period of 6 months at a time and can be extended for up to 10 years with multiple-entry visas.
Visas can take up to 30 days to process, depending on the type of application, the volume of applications received, and the degree of completion. You can pick up your passport and visa at the visa application center where you applied, or you can have them delivered by courier.
Step-by-Step Guide to Applying for a Canadian Student Visa in Nigeria
Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting a student visa for Canada from Nigeria that should make the process go smoothly and quickly.
1- Gain Admission
Apply to a Canadian university or college. A letter of acceptance from a Canadian institution is a requirement for submitting a student visa application in Canada. Securing acceptance is the first step.
2- Compile All Necessary Documentation
Fill out the form for a student permit. As a final step, gather all of the above-mentioned supporting documentation. Because they represent you in the embassy, these documents are critical. All of your documents need to be photographed, then scanned.
3- Submit at the VAC
You will receive a receipt with a tracking number after submitting your application and making the necessary payments. You’ll be able to keep tabs on the status of your visa application with the tracking number. Prepare for an interview as well.
4- You can monitor the status of your application online.
You can keep track of your application online to avoid spending extra fees on transportation to the embassy.
5- Collect your passport
The final step is to collect your visa from the visa application center (VFS) once it is ready. When it’s ready for pickup, we’ll send you a notification.
How to Apply for Canadian Work Visa in Nigeria
Here is a detailed guide on how to travel from Nigeria to Canada via the use of a work visa;
Step 1. Check your eligibility
To be eligible for a work visa in Canada from Nigeria, the following requirements are to be meant;
- Proof of returning to Nigeria after the work permit expires and your work is done in Canada.
- Provision of a Police Clearance Certification.
- Provision of a Medical Clearance showing you are in a good state of health and free from HIV/AIDS.
- Proof of adequate finance to cover your stay in Canada.
- Letter of Invitation from your employer
- Proof of residence
- A valid international passport not older than 6 months to the date of application.
- Two passport photographs
- Round flight ticket
Step 2. Compile the necessary documents
After determining that you are eligible for the program. In order to apply, you’ll need to gather the required paperwork. It is important to know the type of employment visa you are applying for in order to determine what documents you need. To work in the country, you must have one of two types of work permits:
Open Work Permit:
Work authorization that is not tied to a specific job description is known as a “open work permit.” Any Canadian employer can hire you if they meet up the requirements and conditions. An open work permit may also be granted to those who meet the following requirements:
- If you’ve submitted an application for Canadian permanent residence.
- If you are a close relative of a person applying for permanent residence. Be aware that you must be a member of a dependent household.
- You already possess a permit allowing you to temporarily reside in the United States of America.
- If you are a young worker taking part in special Canadian programs
- It’s especially important for refugees and those who know refugees.
- If you are an international student or the spouse of a Canadian employee.
- As its name suggests, an employer-specific work permit gives the holder permission to work only as stated in the work permit. among them are:
- Conditional on being able to work only for the specific employer listed on your work authorization document
- The duration at which your work will take, and
- The location of your work.
An employer-specific work permit to Canada:
If you are applying for this type of work permit visa you will need certain documents:
- Your Employer’s LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment): This is a document known to be issued by the ESDC solely for employers to fill in order to grant them access to hiring temporary workers from other countries. In cases in which your employer has no LMIA, alternatively, you can provide the following documents;
Offer Of Employment Number:
This would be given to you by your employer as it is received by him/her at the point of submitting the employment letter at the employment portal.
This would also be required for you to apply for an employer-specific work permit in Canada.
- You must obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to work in Canada. The norm is not having to submit a separate application or pay an additional fee. The immigration officer will issue the documents to you along with the documents you need to obtain a work permit.
- Additionally, you’ll need a valid passport from another country (preferably not older than 6 months)
- Two copies of all of your photographs, as well as those of your loved ones (if they are accompanying you). To ensure that your visa application is approved, all of the photos you submit must be compliant with the Canadian government’s photo requirements. When it comes to biometrics, you may not need physical copies of photographs.
Step 3. Payment of the Application Fees
Following the completion of all necessary paperwork and arrangements, the next step is to pay your fees.
Make the required payment for the Visa application ranging from CAN$85 to CAN$465 including the service charge.
Step 4. Submit the Application
After filling out the form and doing all the necessary things, you should ensure the form is submitted and then wait for approval.
General Requirements For Obtaining A Canadian Visa
Below are the general requirements for visa applications to Canada in Nigeria
- Family Information (IMM 5645) and Visitor Visa (IMM 5257) forms have been filled out.
- Your original Nigerian passport and a copy of it. You’ll need a passport with at least two blank pages and a validity of at least 6 months beyond your intended return date.
- In order to meet visa photo requirements, you will need two color photographs.
- Please provide documentation showing payment of the application service fee and any additional biometric fees.
- Justify your travel budget with three months’ worth of bank statements, pay stubs, and other financial documentation.
- A letter from the person or institution that is sponsoring your trip and additional documents are required if you are not paying for the trip yourself (i.e. proof of sufficient fund and their passport).
- Proof of Nigerian ties (i.e. proof of assets or businesses, employment letter, etc.).
- Itinerary and copy of a preliminary booking for a plane ticket (i.e. accommodation reservations).
- Clinical information or evidence of good health may be required.
- History of passports showing previous travels.
- Your application will be bolstered by these additional documents (i.e. marriage certificates, invitation letters, etc.).
- Self-addressed courier envelope for the return shipment
- Parents or legal guardians must sign a letter of authorization for minors traveling alone. Non-traveling parents or guardians must sign a letter of authorization for minors traveling with only one parent.
- It is necessary to have an invitation letter stating the purpose of the trip, the length of time you will be staying, and other pertinent information if you are visiting family or on business.
- If you need to provide biometrics, paper photos are not necessary.
How Much Is Canada Student Visa Fee In Nigeria?
Student visa fees for Canada vary from time to time in Nigeria. Obtaining a study permit costs approximately $150 (CAD), plus an additional $85 for biometrics (CAD). Additionally, you’ll have to pay a $45 service fee.
How long does it take to process a Canadian visa in Nigeria?
When applying for a Canadian visa in Nigeria, the processing time is determined by the type of application and how many other people are applying simultaneously. Eight weeks is generally considered to be the ideal time frame. The earlier you apply, the more likely it is that your request will be approved quickly before the start of the school year.
Where is The Canadian Embassy in Nigeria?
The Canadian embassy in Nigeria is located at
Anifowoshe Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, Third roundabout, Opposite Treasure Garden Estate, Manor Hall, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.
62, Lobito Crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja
Where Do I Download Canada Visa Application Form?
You can download the Canada visa application form on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.
How Much Does It Cost to Migrate to Canada from Nigeria?
Immigration to Canada from Nigeria generally costs about $2,300 CAD for an individual, or $4,500 CAD for couples. You may have to pay more or less depending on the program you’re applying for.
If you’re applying to immigrate to Canada with your family, you’ll need to have a minimum of $13,000 CAD in settlement funds. This amount will vary depending on the size of your family.
Can you migrate to Canada without IELTS?
Yes, it is possible but only on a temporary basis, hence if you want to apply for a permanent residency, the provision of English proficiency is paramount for effective communication.
Traveling from Nigeria to Canada is relatively easy and could be achieved if the necessary steps are taken just as we have rightly stated above, ensure to get all the required documents and determine what type of visa would be suitable for you to get into Canada without hassles.